Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Cut off from Civilization (Oct. 18th, 2009)

Thursday I went home during fall break. I decided to spend my hour of meditation in my very own safe haven I created for myself years ago. Behind my house there is a large horse field that had long since been deserted. Fortunately it had stopped storming Thursday and Friday was warm and sunny. I got some essentials. I loaded up the 3-wheeler with a lawn chair, sunglasses, and towel. I made some necessary calls to my boyfriend and my grandmother and Grandfather That I would be out of touch for an hour. Last but not least equipped myself with a wrist watch. I left my cellphone on the coffee table and off I went on my tiny adventure. It was a short 5 minute drive to the farthest reaches of my field. I found my bearer of stones from years past and got beneath the old pine tree. Here I sat on my little lawn chair and began to listen.
 Wind whistled between the pine needles above. The slight scrapping of each one made a dry orchestra play. Something rustled beyond the barb wire fence. What is it? A deer? A rabbit? A squirrel scampers to the other side of the tree when we make eye contact. The sun is hot now, on my arm. It's tempting my freckled skin to burn. I knew I should have brought sunscreen. Oh what a pretty sky today. That cloud looks like a t-rex from the side. Buzzing, beside my ear. I hope there are not mosquitoes out. It is too cold for them I think. Snakes too. But I could see a snake if it were hiding in the flat pine needles. I wonder if snake poke their eyes on blades of grass. Hey, do animals have their own curses? A deep breath. I remember this smell. This smells like autumn, it does. That hay ride years ago was a nightmare. I was older then all those kids. Why did grandma make me dress like a gothic bride? That entire long black wig was for was for toddlers to get their gummy shoes on. I wonder what the college will do for Halloween. I see a shiny blade of grass. It's flickering as the wind blows now. It would be funny if a crow was fooled by this trick blade of grass.  I showed mow it. I should mow all of this land and flatten it like I always wanted it too. I bet I could find trees in that long grass. Something just bit my foot. I hope I killed whatever it was with my smack. There is that hole I dug with my best friend back in 4th grade. We never did cover it and try to trick my dog to step on it. Now that I think of it, if the horse had found it back here I could have been in big trouble. Winds blows through the trees, clothes, and hair. The sun does not warm up the body the same time the wind blows. No amount of power the sun has out there; our wind can slip away its tingly warmth. I should remember that for the paper later. Let's see, ok 23 minutes has gone by. Just uh... I can't do math. I'll get it. Hey it would have been handy to use my calculator on my cellphone. Why that sounded extremely shallow. A cloud covers the sunlight for a very long time. Who was the first painter to see the clouds as more than just white? Darn it, what was that movie I saw with Paul. Quiet....Quiet... What is that? I see something moving out there. The sunlight shone again. Tree limbs painted cold blue shadows over the back of the little brown rabbit. Oh, is that two? I wonder what they eat. I hope they are not drawn to my uncle’s deer corn. I do not want to see them killed. Oh crap...I am not wearing my orange vest. K ok, is it deer season? Let’s see it's cold, they always come out when it's cold. The hunters. Why would there be deer corn out if it wasn't deer season. Oh I hate how people kill deer. How much time has passed? 2:54 p.m.’s I had been out here for about 45 minutes. Well I was safe when I wasn't thinking about my orange vest so I am still fine. My tapping foot makes the carpet of pine needles make shushing sounds at me. Do animals tell humans to be quiet?  Whoa weird thought. It's going to be hard to remember everything I thought. I got to repeat it all in my head and then it'll be time to go I bet.

 Well I packed up my things around 3:20 and headed back home. First thing I did was check my phone for missed call. One, my grandma leaving a marathon long voice mail saying to call because she fixed supper for me. I called her back and reminded her where I was. I got on my dad’s computer to see if it was deer season. I learned they categorized it by what kind of guns can be used while hunting and zones. Oh I missed learning facts from the internet so much. Meditation is still nice though.


No comments:

Post a Comment